February 10, 2008

"Eradicate all towns in Gaza from where rockets are fired"

I just got an email from someone telling me that Israel Army Radio had broadcast the statement "Eradicate all towns in Gaza from where rockets are fired." Now I needed a source for this so I googled the expression "Eradicate all towns". I couldn't imagine there were many powers on earth that would give such an order or even consider such a thing so I could skip the "in Gaza" and "from where rockets are fired" in the search bar. I thought maybe some sites dealing with the nazis in World War II might show up but sure enough only one site came up and it was Ha'aretz newsflash with the exact quote I had been emailed. Here's a screen grab. Click on it and see 18:39 for the relevant line.



With a bit more googling around Meir Sheetrit, the cabinet minister who made the demand I came upon a more informative article on Ynet.
Interior Minister Meir Sheetrit suggested obliterating a Gaza neighborhood in response to Saturday's Qassam fire on Sderot, saying "any other country would have already gone in and level the area, which is exactly what I thing the IDF should do – decide on a neighborhood in Gaza and level it."
Zionists are fond of whining that demonising Israel is antisemitic but what about when Israel demonises itself in this way? Is that antisemitic? When a state's ministers can call for the eradication of whole towns no words of denunciation could be considered too strong, in fact I can't think of any words that would be strong enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment